Research commission on the liberation of the Berlin forced labourers in 1945
Call for tenders for work contracts
The Nazi Forced Labour Documentation Centre (Topography of Terror Foundation, Berlin) is awarding six contracts for the research of exhibition material for a special exhibition on the liberation of forced labourers in Berlin in 1945. This research must be completed by the end of October 2023.
The Nazi Forced Labour Documentation Centre in Berlin-Schöneweide is dedicated to coming to terms with and communicating the long-hidden fate of the more than 26 million men, women and children who were exploited as forced labourers by the Nazi regime during the Second World War.
The planned special exhibition on the liberation of the Berlin forced labourers will cover the period from the beginning to the middle of 1945 and convey the topic primarily through biographical approaches. The work assignments are intended to cover part of the research required abroad.
- Development of a research concept in coordination with the Documentation Centre.
- Research and collection of archival or private sources on the above-mentioned topic and period in public archives and possibly in private possession in one of the countries mentioned below:
- Photographs and possibly film material, e.g. of the Allies
- 7 meaningful biographies reflecting, if possible, different groups of victims (especially civilian forced labourers, prisoners of war, concentration camp inmates) and experiences, with material suitable for exhibition (photos, documents).
- One quarter of the researched material can be based on publications.
- In the case of foreign language sources: Working translation of the sources into German or English, for long sources a summary and selected translation will suffice.
- Provided to the client (source material in original language, own texts in German or English):
- Digitised copies (thumbnails) of the material found, including signatures.
- Contextual information on the found material, e.g. context of transmission
- A short biography of about one page for each biography
- Final report on the research
- The outlined materials must be handed over in digital form to the Nazi Forced Labour Documentation Centre by 31 October 2023.
Tenders are invited for research on the above topic in the following countries. A work contract is planned for each country:
4. the Netherlands
5. Czech Republic
The fee includes remuneration for the work outlined above as well as travel expenses for visits to archives. Payment will be made after the research has been completed; a payment on account may be agreed. The contractor:in is responsible for tax and social security contributions.
- Completion of a degree in history or comparable studies at Master's level
- Good knowledge of the Nazi Forced Labour system
- Work experience with research projects, including the evaluation of archival sources.
Documents to be submitted (in German or English):
- Financial proposal
- Short description of the planned research (1,000 to 1,500 characters)
- Curriculum vitae in tabular form incl. list of publications
- University degree (certificate)
- Proof of research experience (certificate, reference or work sample)
Please send your documents to borchers(at)topographie.de by 26 June 2023.
We will evaluate your substantive offer with 70 % (expertise, approach to research) and your financial offer with 30 %. The award decision and contract conclusion should take place by early July 2023.
Contact for queries:
Nazi Forced Labour Documentation Centre
030 / 63 90 288-15